I want a better kit lens for travel...where to go?, please no primes...

Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
al_in_philly
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?
Remember, you're talking "kit."
In reply to JMaldonado01, Jul 25, 2013

Your expectations are a little unrealistic.  For the most part, a "kit lens" must be cheap--in every sense of the word.  They are intended to be bundled with a camera body at a low enough price to maximize sales.  This economic imperative almost all of the time leads to lenses which are optically imperfect, but are "good enough" for the majority of consumers.  Of course there are exceptions, like the Olympus 12-60 f/2.8 that was offered with the E-3, which was neither cheaply made, nor inexpensive, but then again, this lens was made for Olympus' flagship DSLR.  In my opinion, for the $300 that you pay for it bundled to an OM-D, the 12-50 is really quite a good lens--for the $500 that you'd pay for it alone, well it now becomes what I'd call a "fair price" for what you get, nothing more.  You want better?  You need to pay more.  It's the same if you browse the kit lenses you get with Canons or Nikons as well--they're pretty good lenses for most, but far from great in terms of optical qualities.

al_in_philly's gear list:al_in_philly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow