Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?
Re: Serious G15 bugs
In reply to ericN2, Jul 25, 2013

ericN2 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

ericN2 wrote:

That sounds very odd to me... I've very recently started shooting both RAW+JPG since I just wanted to see if indeed I COULD see or get any difference..I usually just find it quite unnecessary to shoot RAW - certainly with the excellent results I can get from my G15.

Just inspected carefully the pairs of pics I shot today and I simply cannot see ANY difference at all between the two - NONE of them look different.
Maybe in some odd way I'm shooting different type pics.. but what you say SHOULD be a 'generality' if it is the case..it simply isn't so with mine.
I STILL love the G15 and in fact I think I like it better than the G1X.. in spite of a few advantages in the latter.. fact is the PICS I get from the G15...SO easily in any circumstances .. are just so good.

Hi Eric,

When you shoot in RAW + jpg, correctiions are not applied to the jpg. It is simply the converted jpg with no corrections of any kind applied. So the pair would look identical as you have seen. But if you shoot jpg only and RAW only, then you can see the corrected difference.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale -

Thanks for that note - of course it explains WHY I see no difference...  but it does absolutely nothing to convince me that shooting RAW - at least for my kind of pics AND what may well be MY kind of general lighting conditions I invariably encounter in our general conditions - RAW gives me absolutely nothing (in almost all cases) better .. and takes probably 3 times as long to edit..compared to what is probably all of one minute or so (!!) for most of my JPG's I can get from my lovely G15 friend .. frankly I wish I'd never bought the G1X and would happily sell it for a half-decent price.   LOVE this G15 !!

I agree with you eric.  I feel the same way for the same reasons.  I was not trying to convince you to shoot RAW.  I was only trying to explain to the OP why he was seeing what he was seeing and what he could do about it.  But for me, I also shoot jpg most of the time and only occasionally shoot RAW if the shot is very important and I want to have more latitude for exposure and WB correction in post.  But for most of my G15 shooting I shoot jpg.

I did bump up the sharpness, contrast and color saturation one notch in custom colors, and backed down skin tone one notch so that skin color was not over-saturated.  I like the results I get with my camera set up this way for most things.

I don't often shoot at full wide either, prefering longer zoom for most shots, so I rarely run into the problem the OP was concerned about.  However, I have bumped my head on it from time to time and either switch to RAW +jpg for those shots that need it, or else over-frame so that it will turn out where I want it to be.

I own a G5, G6, G9, G12 and the G15.  Of all the G series, the G15 is the fastest and the best of the bunch IMHO.  I am quite fond of the little guy.  Of course for my more demanding stuff I also own a similar string of DSLR's.  Too much gear really, if such a thing is possible... LOL

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow