Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?

Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wade Tregaskis
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Re: Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?
In reply to Stacey_K, Jul 25, 2013

I did a lot of research on multiple web sites and decided on the 11-16 Tokina. Almost every review shows one stop from wide open it has great performance across the frame. Even wide open the corners are decent at every focal length, one stop down it's good everywhere. My limited testing so far shows they are right.

This is at odds with DxOmark's measurements.  According to them it's extremely non-uniform w.r.t. sharpness, with the corners and sides being noticeably soft until you get to at least f/5.6 (at 11mm).  It only ever beats the Nikon in the very very centre, regardless of focal length or aperture, and even then by only a tiny amount at best.

Not to say that DxOmark is the unequivocal authority, but they do actually test multiple copies of all the lenses they evaluate, objectively, with a reproducible test environment.  I'm inclined to take their word on these things vs internet anecdotes.

Which makes me think that despite the Tokina being really soft in the corners, people that use and love it just don't care.  So perhaps it doesn't matter.  But I'm curious about how they're using it, that this non-uniform sharpness isn't a problem.  I use my 10-24 for landscapes, for example, where soft corners are really noticeable (and the Nikon does have slightly soft corners, in my judgement, though DxOmark measures it as relatively uniform).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow