Why I love my D200

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,466Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I love my D200
In reply to olliess, Jul 25, 2013

olliess wrote:

As an aside, I'd lean toward "fault" on the tendency to clip. Given the very good DR and good noise performance on the D7000, it seems to me the matrix meter should be helping you preserve highlights if at all possible.

But it won't clip if you use the +/-EV Comp control!

That's why they include a histogram, so you can make adjustments as you go.

There is no such thing as a standard setting, unless you always take the same image from the same direction with the sun at the same elevation, and so on.

The best camera I have ever used in regard to leaving at 0EV Comp is the Fuji X10 in EXR and shooting RAW - since it has a phenomenal 2EV of highlight headroom I found that I very seldom, if ever, had to adjust EV to a minus value.  If anything, I increased it on a dull day.

Then again, people were complaining about a certain CCD camera's tendency to underexpose whenever there was any danger of clipping, so I guess you can't please everyone all the time.  

Ho ho - thanks for some balance. 

Still, it doesn't matter which way the metering goes, since a wise photographer will be checking the histogram on playback with every change in shot/scene and making the appropriate adjustment.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow