How do you track a subject with a DSLR?

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,103
Like?
not unfair at all
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Jul 25, 2013

mpgxsvcd wrote:

I think it is unfair to say that because a 200mm F1.4 doesn't exist for m4/3s it can't possibly focus as well as a DSLR.

I didn't say that. I said you can't test any m4/3 system at the extremes that pro DSLRs are regularly required to work under. That's not unfair. It's a fact.

Comparing a $13,000 setup to a $3000 setup is not a fair comparison.

What is a fair comparison is putting a 7D + 150mm F2.8 lens up against the GH3 + 35-100mm F2.8. Both are about the same cost and have similar features and burst rates.

This would still be an imperfect test because the GH3 setup would have a bit more depth-of-field (in practice), allowing it to hide focus errors a little bit better.

That's all I was trying to point out: many photographers don't understand what the very best autofocus systems are capable of because they don't shoot indoor sports with 300mm f/2.8 lenses on 35mm format sensors. Those conditions really challenge the technology, and, as I said, separate the best from the also-rans.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow