Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?

Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,754
Like?
Re: Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?
In reply to Smiller4128, Jul 25, 2013

I did some comparing of the Nikon 10-24 with the new Tokina 12-28 and posted example photos here:  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3511791

I found the Nikon to struggle mightily in the 18-24 range, so much so that my kit 18-55 usually beat it.  For that reason, I didn't buy it even though I had my heart set on buying it.  Instead I picked up a the new Tokina 12-28 and to my delight not only did it perform well at 12-16mm it actually outperformed the kit lens at 18+.  Which is important to me because I'm trying to carry less gear and this lens allows me to leave the kit at home.

I posted some 28mm and flare results here:  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3518991

Even though I had bad luck with the Nikon 10-24, it gets such universal praise that I'd still recommend it and chalk my experience up to either a bad example or a lens that didn't mate well with my body.

In general, for the wide angles, I think the choice comes down to a few things:

1.  Do you want a bigger focal length range.  If so, the Sig 10-20, Nikon 10-24, Tokina 12-28 are all good choices, with the new Tokina have the biggest range.

2.  Do you want a more prime like wide angle?  The 11-16 is the most prime like and will give you close to prime like results (and feel like a prime with it's limited range).  It also has that big aperture that makes it easier to use for shots of the milky way (if you ever get into that).

3.  Flare... as much landscape as I shoot, and even though the 12-28 seems to perform quite well against flare, I find most of the flare talk overrated.  Shooting directly at the sun is unappealing to me, IMO, for most photos/situations.  One of the best landscape shooters on these forums, Roman Johnson, used the Tokina 12-24 for years and that lens has the worst flare performance of them all, yet his landscape shots are fabulous.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow