Can someone share a history or origin of why 35mm FL was the "chosen one" in the first place?

Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,911
Like?
Re: Can someone share a history or origin of why 35mm FL was the "chosen one" in the first place?
In reply to smallLebowski, Jul 25, 2013

As a very old fellow whose (very amateur) photographic experience began about 60 years ago, long before cameras had mirrors, I've also been interested to read this thread. My understanding over the decades was that 50mm (in FF terms) provided images which were close to the human eye's appreciation - for what you might call "intermediate landscapes". Those 50mm would translate into 35mm in an APS-C camera with its 1.5X or 1.6X crop factor.

But those 50mm were just for us rank amateurs who could never afford more than one lens. If we ever saved enough money, we often bought lenses of 80mm for portraits, and some portraits were even done at 105-135mm, and lenses of wide-angler angles than 50mm for landscapes.

My eye still likes the 50mm lens perspective for general use - so, with my APS-C cameras, a 35mm focal length is nice for general use. But I've come to expect much longer and shorter FLs too, so I find myself using 16-20mm for many landscapes and 80mm (and wish I had "more reach") for a photographing dogs. I am not a person who normally takes the time to "zoom with my feet".

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow