Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BillD7000
Contributing MemberPosts: 536
Like?
Nikon balking at service for AF-S 300/4
Jul 25, 2013

18 months ago, I purchased a used Nikon AF-S 300/4 from a guy in Australia.  I live in the US.  I have no idea if he was the 1st, 2nd, or 25th owner of the lens.

The lens was as promised, I registered it immediately with Nikon USA, no problems indicated.

Now it has a squeak in the AF-S motor, and when I sent it into Melville, NY, I'm hearing that they think the lens is "gray market" and they may not touch it.

I don't buy "gray market".  I do buy and sell used all the time.  This purchase was a good one, made in confidence, in part because of the Nikon name and the presumption of quality and service that goes with it.

I buy certain brands of used cars all the time, using the same philosophy.  The assumption is that Honda or Nissan dealers nationwide will stand behind their products, and for decades, I've found this to be true.

If Nikon refuses service on a Nikon lens that they can't possibly know the history of, I think it will reflect very poorly on their approach to customer service.

It would give me great pause in considering a second-hand purchase of any Nikon lens from any vendor or supplier.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow