Any advice for my next purchase - what goes with K5 II?

Started Jul 25, 2013 | Questions thread
Chalootz297
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Re: Any advice for my next purchase - what goes with K5 II?
In reply to Barry Pearson, Jul 25, 2013

Hello photopastor,

Apparently I'm in the other camp, because I'd suggest getting the BG grip. Not so much for the extra battery (although it is handy, especially on a long trek or when you're away from a place to charge up) but for the handling of the body.

Pentax bodies are among the smallest APS-C cameras on the market. Yes, they have excellent ergonomics and the controls are logically-placed, but my lower 2 fingers don't fit on the vertical part of the body, they rest uncomfortably under the lower plate. My hands aren't unusually large, either, normal, I'd say. The BG provides the perfect placement for my entire right hand on the side of the camera, not the bottom. This results in a steadier grip with all lenses, especially longer or heavier zooms. It honestly allows slower shutter speeds than I can achieve without the grip. That may sound unrealistic, I can only say try it and see.

Shooting vertical orientation is much easier and more comfortable with the grip and all the main controls including shutter release, on/off/DOF switch, Ev button, ISO button, AE-L, green button and AF button, plus both thumbwheels are duplicated on the grip for easy use in vertical.

Plus an extra battery and spare SD compartment.

You can always remove the grip when 'going light' but it's proven invaluable to me! YMMV.

Ron

Chalootz297's gear list:Chalootz297's gear list
Pentax Optio I-10 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow