Can someone share a history or origin of why 35mm FL was the "chosen one" in the first place?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,419Gear list
Like?
Re: Can someone share a history or origin of why 35mm FL was the "chosen one" in the first place?
In reply to smallLebowski, 9 months ago

First of all, 35mm on APS-C is 50mm in 35mm film cameras.  So, are you speaking of 35mm for APS-C, I assume?

From what I've read, 50mm was popular in film cameras because early SLR cameras benefited from having a focal length long enough to get past the mirror.  Something longer than 50mm was ideal, but 50mm worked.  When you look at fixed-lens rangefinder/non-SLR lenses, some of them were 50mm way back in the 50s, but in the 60s, 45mm seemed to be the standard.  By the 70s, 42mm to 40mm were common, and 35mm seemed to be higher-end.  My guess is that 35mm must be harder to design or manufacture.  At any rate, I was pretty happy with 40mm as a general all-purpose lens, and not all that happy with 50mm.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow