Why I love my D200

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,437Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I love my D200
In reply to Stacey_K, Jul 25, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

OK people keep asking for examples of why I like the output of this camera over my D7000 at base iso. I know I "just do" but today shot some red flowers on my front porch with both cameras, same lens, same tripod and picked two shots that had the same tonal curve as an example. The D200 normally needs +1/3 stop exposure comp in my experience and the two shots with the exact same exposure made the D7000 look even worse. Please don't C&C the shot, this was just a quick point the camera at some begonias picture.

It's a great shot for comparison purposes.

The D7000 needs -0.3EV on a shot like this - if you view the histogram (attached) you will see that the red channel is blown, which of course helps to turn red to pink or magenta.

Below is a crop from both shots, first notice how much more saturated the D200 shot looks. Look at the subtle colors in the right petal in the D200 shot, the D7000 doesn't show this and looks washed out. Then note in the D7000 shot, while it looks less saturated on the right petal, it has a portion in the center of the left petal blown to mush and it's not from over/under exposure.

Well, as my histo overlay above shows, the D7000 shot actually is over-exposed.

Reducing exposure in a "blown" jpeg does not do a perfect job but it does improve the red petal colour somewhat.  I also increased saturation by 10%.  I know you don't want to have to do that in PP, but what happens when you select the standard, rather than neutral, colour profile in the camera?  Something similar, I believe.

It also appears that the focus point between the two camera shots is not the same.

Here is the D200 with histogram overlaid:

If you desaturate the red channel (even in the raw file) trying to find the detail in the left petal, it just further desaturates the right one.

No need to desaturate - just reduce exposure in-camera, or when processing the RAW.

You can't do anything in a raw file to fix this either. If you try to use an in camera picture control with more saturation, it just blows more of the image into mush. Actually any picture control other than neutral blows more of the image into mush, especially reds. If there were skin tones in the image, doing this desaturation of the red channel would ruin the skin tones, so you can pick having good skin tones or a red flower that isn't blown into mush but not both. Also note the green leaf behind the red looks exactly the same color/tone in both images.

I believe most issues with the D7000 will be solved when you try the same exposure at -0.3EV and the standard profile.

I would really love to see RAWs from any shots, if possible, please?

Also the D200 has better mid tone contrast, if you try to add contrast to the D7000 image it just starts blocking parts of the image up. Same with trying to increase the saturation to equal the D200, the reds just go crazy. The reds in the D200 shot are rich without looking cartoonish.

I think they are using a tone curve in the D7000 to lift the lowlights (and boost DR) more so than was used on the D200, just by looking at the two histograms above.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow