Considering selling my DSLR to fund a M43 kit...

Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rob Camlin
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Considering selling my DSLR to fund a M43 kit...
Jul 25, 2013

Alright everyone, I need some opinions. Either talk me out of it and tell me I'm nuts, or explain to me why it would be a good idea.

I currently shoot professionally on a Canon 5D and have a handful of off-brand lenses (mostly MF). Lately I've been reading about M43 cameras and lenses (the OM-D E-M5 in particular) and it has me fascinated. I primarily shoot concerts and musicians, with an occasional wedding thrown in, which I hear these cameras are great for. The only thing that has me worried is the depth of field. When I take portraits, even some concert shots, I LOVE a super-shallow depth of field with a healthy dose of bokeh. Aside from going with the Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95, I want to be able to achieve a comparable depth of field and bokeh with an AF lens to my f/1.4 FF lenses. Now I don't need an exact re-creation of the mega shallow DOF I get with my 24mm f/1.4, but I want something close.

The way I'm seeing it right now is that I can upgrade to the latest and greatest M43 from my outdated 5D in the FF world and get a top-shelf lens or two to go with it.

Would this change be a wise move? Discuss.

-- hide signature --

-Rob

Rob Camlin's gear list:Rob Camlin's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1
Canon EOS 5D Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow