Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BudOhio
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,130Gear list
Like?
Hummingbirds with K-5IIs and DA*300
Jul 25, 2013

While the hummingbird numbers seem to be down a little from previous seasons, this has been a very good year for me with the local population.  As many of you know, I'm a bit obsessed with these magnificent little flying wonders and have spent the past 8 years working to create a habitat to attract them to my yard.  The efforts paid off this spring with, not one, but 2 nests being constructed in my yard   The first, which was perfectly positioned just outside my bedroom window was, unfortunately... abandoned.  The mother's second location choice, however, was in an ash tree 20 feet away in my front yard 

Below are a few of the images I've been able to capture since this all started back in May...and I love the K-5IIs, by the way

The first nest...not yet complete... seemed to have attracted too much attention from jealous rivals ...

So, she relocated...and moved uptown

Where she raised two fine youngsters...

That grew and grew...until the nest became just a little too crowded.

And, then there was one for the mom to care for, which she did with great care, until offspring #2....

Decided to test his new wings.  And guess what?

They worked!  He started out with a little support from the leaf of a porterweed plant.

And soon, he and all of his fellow fledgling guys and gals were sampling all of the nectar plants, like kniphofia, in this amazing little garden

They also found monardas...

And cupheas....

And silene regia , aka, "Royal Catchfly" (An Ohio native wildflower)

There were butterfly bushes everywhere...

In many different colors and flavors.

And an abundance of lobelia cardinals...Cardinal Flower (Another Ohio native plant)

And agastaches...

Salvias (Salvia 'Amistad' )

Salvia 'Amistad' again....my favorite new nectar plant for the year...

And lonicera sempervirens, aka, trumpet honeysuckle.

I'll enjoy the next 2 months as all of the youngsters prepare for their southern migration, and I'll try to share a few more images here between now and then as they learn the ropes of being a hummingbird, defending one's territory, and proper stretching techniques and such...

Thanks for looking!

-- hide signature --
 BudOhio's gear list:BudOhio's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RonNew
LeoNew
AlanNew
PhilNew
PhilNew
MikeNew
TomNew
MikeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow