sony a57 vs nikon d7000

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Questions thread
Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Re: sony a57 vs nikon d7000
In reply to Haps18, Jul 25, 2013

Can't vouch for or against the Nikon. My 2 cents is I don't think you'll be disappointed with the A57. I have one (along with a Canon 60D), and while I sometimes wish for some quick extra controls to make my life easier, I still get by pretty well and almost don't miss it. Ergonomics are excellent, the fully articulating LCD a big plus, is fast and takes great pics, even at higher ISO. Despite it's model designation I personally consider it to be an intermediate range model.

The kit lens is a plus. At that price with the body, it's almost a gimme. It's not the best, but it isn't bad.

One caveat: as an open box item it may have been the display model, and those get a lot of abuse IMO that would concern me. Inspect carefully and be sure they have a reasonable return policy if you run into trouble. Normally I don't recommend extended warranties but one may be good insurance here if the price is reasonable.

The SLTs do things different than you may accustomed to with your 7D, but I don't find that to be a negative.  I think the benefits outweigh any disadvantages.

Assuming you've got a good one though, getting the A57 and using the money you save to get quality glass is really a win-win proposition for you.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow