Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?

Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,408Gear list
Like?
Sigma 8-16 is great
In reply to petermoons, Jul 24, 2013

petermoons wrote:

i've got the tokina (first version). bought it four years ago. quality piece. suits my needs just fine. if i'd have to buy one today ... i'd be tempted by the siggy 8-16.

I got the Sigma 8-16 at a very good price second hand from someone with a reliable feedback score and history on Ebay. It's a FANTASTIC lens. I can't tell you how much I love shooting with it....and because it's so wide you can shoot at slower shutter speeds without feeling bad about the lack of VR. I've gotten usuable results at 1/4 second and good results at about 1/8.

That said there are 2 stipulations.

1) It is not an all in one "walk around" lens. Even at 16mm, it's not really well suited to portaits unless we're talking caricatures. It is best suited to being a dedicated ultrawide.

2) No filters and bulbous front element is annoying, particularly if you're use to keeping a filter on your front elements to prevent damage. I'd love to be able to use a CPL with the lens but the truth is I don't do that very much anyway. (There are DIY solutions involving Cokin filters and even dedicated filter holders, but they're clunky and expensive - I have better things to spend my photo dollars on)

Since I have other lenses, and I was looking for an ultrawide, I'm very glad I went this route.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow