Thoughts about XZ-1 settings please

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ron Goodenow
Contributing MemberPosts: 661
Like?
Re: Thoughts about XZ-1 settings please
In reply to BobT, Jul 24, 2013

I appreciate the comments on raw. However, having been shooting Oly cameras for a very long time I have come to appreciate the Oly jpg quality and what I can do with Photoshop to fix things up if need be. Now and then I will do raw if it is a really critical commercial situation or a once in a lifetime shot. In terms of recreational photography and small sensors (e.g. as in my Pentax Optio 40 and superb Panasonic ZS1 which the new Oly is replacing) I find that by reducing the resolution to about 7meg I get slightly smoother results and less visible noise. I realize that I am also losing pixels and some degree of sharpness but for the web and relatively small print stuff I do that's just fine. I have beautiful 8x10's from my ancient Oly 2020z and did posters and glossy mag stuff for a customer with my five megpix 5060 (still one of my favorite cameras....the XZ-1 feels like the upgrade of that I always wanted.)

As for cards, I prefer as few as possible. One less thing to worry about. And I am not a prolific shooter; habit left over from 35mm days. I have a nice little backup device which allows me to back cards up to USB drives very easily and may do that on my trip, as I have done on others.

Please keep your ideas flowing, especially on settings. Thanks.

I'll see if I can pull together some examples from my experimenting. Have only had the camera a few days and I guess I need to remember how to post pics here.

-- hide signature --

Take photos not pixel counts....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow