Any mft's shooters thinking of jumping ship for FF nex

Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,573Gear list
Like?
Re: Well may well see small FF
In reply to EEmu, Jul 24, 2013

EEmu wrote:

I'm most certainly not claiming they will make such lenses but for you to state they won't ever is ridiculous.

The word you are looking for is "correct".

You claim FF users accept bulkier systems for some benefit, but how does that explain all the APS-C users of the Canon/Nikon systems who use the same lenses in similar bodies? Or heck, how about Four Thirds, with it's, say, 35-100mm f/2.0 lens. It's more than double the weight of Canon's FF equivalent (70-200mm f/4) and 25% heavier than the f/2.8 version. And that's not cherry-picked: Aside from the 3 kit versions, every zoom for Four Thirds was over 400g, and often nearly 1000g.

Where exactly can you say that FF is bulk when the SLR version of m43 was just as bulky if not more so?

There is no SLR version of M43. If you are referring to the four thirds system, it was an irrelevant failure.

FT as never about reducing bulk, it was about reducing camera cost just like APS-H and APS-C (which was created at a time when mass produced FF was basically impossible). Mirrorless is about reducing bulk, and Sony is putting out a FF mirrorless. What's the point of that vs creating another A-mount if they're just going to make huge A-mount-like lenses with a shorter flange distance? When you consider that Canon's FF 50mm f/1.8 is smaller, lighter and cheaper than supposedly-small m43's 25mm f/1.4 without even equating aperture, I think small FF is entirely doable.

Certainly, Olympus did small FF in the 70s and I have two each of OM-1 and OM-2. I'm not saying small FF is a bad idea; on the contrary, I would not have bought into M43 if DSLRs of acceptable size had been available.

However, creating a system of the same size as M43, only with a much larger sensor, does away with the benefits of the larger sensor, which is why it is unlikely to happen. The E-M5, a pretty large body by M43 standards, is smaller than any FF or even APS-C body. And then we're not even talking about the bodies where small size is the primary design goal.

Reducing bulk is not the only reason for mirrorless cameras, there are other advantages such as fewer moving parts.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
sizeNew
No.New
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow