D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,315
Like?
Re: D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?
In reply to Rick Knepper, Jul 24, 2013

Something I noticed when I first started shooting with the D800 and reviewing the images on a monitor was that I could enlarge JPEGs nearly as much as the RAW files from my D3 without them breaking up. If I was shooting for displaying images on a monitor the ability to shoot JPEGs instead of RAW capture would be significant.

I think that once one gets past 18MP there are rapidly dimnishing returns in terms of usable image quality even for the purpose of making prints. Print dpi does not need to increase with print size, in fact it is quite the opposite with billboards printed at 110 dpi. The larger the print the greater the viewing distance and the lower the dpi needs to be.

The flip side to also consider is that the greater the resolution of the sensor the sooner problems appear with regard to diffraction with small apertures. Past f-8 the gain in apparent DOF is countered by greatly increased diffraction.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow