Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 521Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you typically shoot in P or M?
In reply to I a n, 9 months ago

I a n wrote:

MJSfoto1956 wrote:

And I would point out that I even sometimes use M with Auto ISO!

Wait, what does auto ISO do in M mode? I don't think I have even turned auto ISO on, on my camera.

Auto ISO, within limits, allows you to set exactly the speed and aperture you want and auto ISO then gives you the right exposure. For example you may wish to choose  a speed of 125 to allow you to use a lens of a particular focal length or you may want to capture slow movement. You then might want to shoot t f5.6 to give you a relatively good DoF for a band. Or an even higher speed for sport but with a highish DoF to get more of the players in focus. Auto ISO will change the ISo so as the light changes or you pan from one scene to another the ISO will change so you still get the right exposure.

If you use manual ISO you are limited to the combination of S and A to get the right combination, by using auto ISO you can vary that especially in real time as the light changes.

A fairly good example is on a playing pitch where part of the pitch is in shadow and part in sunlight. You may want to set the speed and aperture to capture the action with the right DoF, but if you have manual ISO on you have to change it as players go in and out of the shade. With Auto ISO you don't.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow