Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ron Goodenow
Contributing MemberPosts: 661
Like?
Thoughts about XZ-1 settings please
Jul 24, 2013

I'm traveling a lot these days (planes and trains, not so much automobiles) and don't want to haul around one of my Oly dslr's and lenses, so got an XZ-1 after reading a lot of reviews and finding a great price on Amazon. In my next round of travels in the US West I may not have my netbook for backing up and so I want to be as efficient with memory cards as possible.

Very often I use the HQ setting on my 510 or 330. It saves space on the card (and computer) and, frankly, my poor ole eyes can't see much difference between it and SHQ on my computer. I generally do not do large prints, though I do publish a lot on the web. When I know I may be in a heavy crop situation I do use SHQ. I seldom use raw. I have been using the 4:3 ratio.

So, what pixel count and general resolution settings do you use? Or recommend for specific situations? Mainly I will be doing landscapes and some railroad photography, plus the usual snaps of friends and family.  I remember Wrotniak (who I really miss) recommending HQ for the 510 but I have not found a review which discusses this issue specifically with regard to the XZ-1.

Incidentally, I really like the camera. Got a lens adapter and can screw on a fisheye and wide angle. No need for teleconverter because I find the digital zoom great.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Take photos not pixel counts....

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow