Started Jul 24, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robin Csels
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Cognitive dissonance
Jul 24, 2013

I returned from a six week trip to Europe last Saturday. I decided on taking a NX1000 as my primary camera a standard 20-50mm lens, 20mm and 30mm pancakes, a 50-200mm and a Sigma 10-20mm K-mount with an adapter. I also took a NX10 that I bought second hand as a backup and my old NX100 with a 20-50mm to leave in the UK as a gift for a friend passing through on his way back to Oz from St Vincent.

I started using a small neck strap from a cheap case on the NX1000 but the clasp on the strap failed somewhere in Scotland and the camera fell from my hip and bounced across the cobblestones. There was a massive crack right through the optical glass protector I bought off flea-bay but apart from a few other scuff marks a quick check showed no other damage. Blarney Castle was the next challenge. I stubbed a toe and fell heavily and the camera and lens separated like a medieval beheading. I fumbled to recover the lens mount bezel, a thin flange, a couple of screws and the barrel of the lens. Apart from the lens the camera came out okay so I borrowed the spare 20-50mm lens from the NX100. (My mate can pay for getting the 20-50mm bolted back together.) And I lost the toenail.

With the 20mm or 30mm pancakes and even the second 20-50mm the NX1000 became my street camera and without any strap it slid easily into baggy pockets.

I had the NX1000 on RAW and transferred photos to a netbook every couple of nights. The last transfer was on Naxos. I only took a few photos on the ferry (I highly recommend business class) to the port of Piireas outside Athens.

It was a strange feeling when I opened my backpack on the train to Athens and felt the gap where the NX1000 should have been. After a momentary feeling of loss I realised I hadn't lost many photos. What if I’d felt the camera being taken by the four guys than crowded me into a corner on the train and I made a fuss? Would there have been a knife in the stomach? All for a cheap, replaceable camera?

If I bought a NX300 as a replacement I’d want to put it in a display case, not in a pocket. Also, I don’t think I’d find the touch screen of the NX2000 responsive, especially in sunlight. In short, I’m not sure where Samsung is going with the next generation of cameras. (White or Pink? Maybe my next one should be Midori flavoured and include an umbrella.)

I can buy a replacement NX1000 for AU$375 before they run out but I’m thinking I won’t bother. If I can contain my pixel-peeping there doesn't seem to be a massive difference in IQ between the NX1000 and the NX10. On the other hand the NX1000 is a fantastic, small, robust camera at a bargain price.

Bloody cognitive dissonance!

Any rational suggestions would be appreciated.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-m (K2000) Samsung NX10 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX2000 Samsung NX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow