Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Anthony Alongi
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
My visit to B&H Photo (Nikon 1 Related)
Jul 24, 2013

Yesterday I had the chance to spend a full three hours at B&H photo in New York City!  The mission was to fondle every mirrorless (and a few high end P&S) on the planet.  If you haven't been to B&H go - it is an experience.  Brilliant stuff!  Anyway, I extensively played with Nikon 1, Olympus and Panasonic m4/3, Sony NEX, Samsung NX, Fujifilm and the Canon Eos-M.  The purpose was to pick a system to purchase as I recently sold off my DSLR (too big, too heavy, yada yada) and am currently left with a Fujifilm X10 in the house.

I quickly learned that, despite my best efforts to convince myself otherwise, I really, really like built in viewfinders.  Gotta say I was seriously tempted by the Eos-M, especially as the current prices, as the touch screen is simply brilliant.  But my eyes are changing and I just couldn't do the screen only without reading glasses.  I bounced a bit between the NEX and the Nikon 1.  Really liked the NEX 6, but not so excited about the lens selection.  Kept coming back to the Nikon 1 - just felt good and right.  Went over and played with ALL of the lenses for the 1 - very, very nice.  Was surprised at the heft of the new 10-100 and the 32mm is just stupendous in both look, feel and image quality.

In the end, surprised myself and decided that the Nikon 1 system was the right move for me.  Looking for something smaller and lighter, mostly for travel related photography.  Images I have views fall into the "good enough for me" category - yes, I am sure that there are better quality images to be had from one of the APS-C bodies, but none of them with the exception of m4/3 seem to have the lens selection I am looking for - and good m4/3 glass gets really pricey really fast.  Other than perhaps a nice bright 35mm equivalent, the 1 system has almost everything I actually need for my style of photography right now.  Done deal!

I went home and ordered a refurbished V1 with the 10-30 lens (wasn't going to get the lens, but the added cost over body only was only $40).  Will be ordering the 18.5 mm and the 6.7mm-13mm from B&H later this week and am on the lookout for a used or refurbished 30-110.  That will do me for now - will put the entire package through its paces on a trip to Yellowstone if about three weeks time!

Glad I'm here.  Thanks for reading.

-- hide signature --

Tony A.

Anthony Alongi's gear list:Anthony Alongi's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Fujifilm X10 Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow