How to calculate DLA? + another question....

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
rbarta
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you for an informative thread
In reply to irm, Jul 24, 2013

irm wrote:

Provided lots of detail for real world as well as theoretical.

I always wondered about the macro shooters and their insistence on f16 to f22 when you read articles included in this thread. In theory a macro shot should be around f8 to f10 for best quality?

-- hide signature --

my 2 exposed flashcubes worth.
Ian the pbase supporter.
http://pbase.com/ianm_au
Please check my profile for equipment list.
An amateur with dreams of being a good to excellent photographer.

Macro shooters have a very small depth of field even at f16/f22. To get as much of the subject in focus as they can they must use as small an aperture as they can. If the subject is not moving a macro photographer will use focus stacking at the diffraction limit. If the subject is moving (say a live butterfly) then smaller apertures are necessary.

You must remember that the maximum first airy disk bleed over intensity is only 1.75%. At the pixel level you are not likely to notice, especially if you just do a little bit of sharpening in post. But you will notice the full subject not being in focus.

rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow