Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the size and feel of my DSLR
In reply to jonrobertp, Jul 24, 2013

jonrobertp wrote:

marike6 wrote:

For most situations, I prefer a full-sized DSLR, and my lightweight carbon fiber tripod. I have a D800 and have owned a 5D Mk II, D7000, and many smaller APS-C DSLRs like the D3200, K-30, as well as tons of mirrorless cameras.

The small APS-C DSLRs for the most part are much less usable and ergonomic. And they don't balance well with my previous 70-200 f/2.8 or my new 70-200 f/4 VR.

Small mirrorless cameras and P&S can be convenient for portability, but for shooting experience, unless you are just doing mindless snapshots, street photography or travel photography, a DSLR like the D7000 or the FFs provide a significantly nicer shooting experience for me. Large, bright OVF, deep grip, lenses that are not focus-by-wire, and the ability to shoot static subjects and things that move quickly and erratically.

One of my pet peeves on these forums is the prevailing trend in thought that smaller camera size is a bonus. For most serious photography, it is not.

Smaller size camera is indeed a bonus for walking all day in hot humid place toting a camera. And that is for serious photography . But serious has not been defined nor the definition agreed upon. So far.

You are quite right.  I only used the term "serious" to differentiate from quick snapshots not as a snobbish value judgement.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow