Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,774
Like?
Re: @ yardcoyote...EDIT
In reply to kikivrany, Jul 24, 2013

kikivrany wrote:

Hello yardcoyote

You did ask about the kit lens and if you should buy better a prime lens.

In my case, I did stay with Pentax since the MX and have had a lot time to buy lens since than.

Now the answer is not easy, because both have it's advantage.

I make with the kit lens pictures in a wet or dust environment, where I never would use any of my other lens.

I also like that with the kit lens and a DA 55-300mm you get a nice light set, which covers 18-300mm.

The kit lens is cheap and WR.

But when you enlarge your pictures on the monitor, you see that the kit lens is not that sharp at the borders. I for example try to use the kit lens at f 8 or above to get the best out of it.

Enlarging the pictures on the monitor is one thing, but when you don't zoom in that much, or print them on a small format an other one, and here the pictures of the kit lens looks good for me.

Hello again yardcoyote

I forgot a lot:

With a new DSLR you go on a wonderful new journey in possibilities of making pictures for so much different scenes.

And the high quality and possibilities of such cameras you will never cover with a kit lens, or with only one quality prime.

So for example when you make low light pictures, or when you will make pictures with a small DOF and use therefor the lens nearly wide open, the kit lens is not the right lens for that...IQ wise.

best regards kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow