Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,563Gear list
Like?
Re: Only if the lenses were as small as in m4/3
In reply to EEmu, Jul 24, 2013

EEmu wrote:

Ulric wrote:

So how big is Sony's FF 24-70mm f/5.6?

About as big as their 16-48 f/4 for their crop NEX. Which is...

Oh no! They don't have either one yet! Oh man, you totally called me on that and rendered my theory totally incorrect! Making FF lenses as small as m43 is clearly physically impossible, just like dougjgreen1 said.

If only I had realized that Sony was bad about making lenses I could have posted something like "If Sony is willing to make slow lenses (a big if) for their FF system to reduce size..." and have prevented this! Now Full Frame will be bulky forever

You miss the point. You can't go into a store and choose any lenses that would be physically possible to make, only ones that exist. Sony do not and will not produce a FF 24-70mm lens of the same size as the Panasonic 12-35mm lens, so whether it is possible or not is not a useful consideration for the users.

Typically, FF users accept larger and bulkier bodies and lenses because they think they get something out of it. Some actually do. Just for fun I made a list of the 10 most popular FF lenses for Canon and Nikon (including 3rd party lenses) and compared it to the 10 most popular M43 lenses. The lenses on the FF list were on average 3-400% larger than the ones on the M43 list. And no, they were not "equivalent", because that is not how those choices are made.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
sizeNew
No.New
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow