Complaints About DSLR Size

Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
StayClassy
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 24, 2013

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Call me jaded because I honestly don't care how heavy or large a camera is, so long as the performance is top notch, but power to that guy for finding what works best for him.

I personally love the weight of an SLT (Sony A99) with a battery grip, a G lens, and flash. Sure, it's cumbersome and large, but it makes me respect every picture I take every time I raise it to my eye. That weight and grip make me feel like I'm looking through something with a soul; something that took countless hours of prototyping, designing, crafting, constructing, and tweaking.

I just feel as though the weight is justifiable with the end result, simply because my photos are starting to go from ho-hum easy snapshot of something kewl, to what I at least think is art.

All because of the respect I have every time I lift that heavy beast to my eyes. Makes me shoot less, but shoot more.

-- hide signature --

When people ask me whether I'm a photographer, I tell them that I'm more of a time artist. After all, my art is my ability to freeze time and capture a moment forever.

StayClassy's gear list:StayClassy's gear list
Sony SLT-A99
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow