Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?

Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wade Tregaskis
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Re: Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?
In reply to Smiller4128, Jul 24, 2013

DxOmark recently reviewed the new 11-16.  They gave it a noticeably higher overall score than the Nikon 10-24, but when you actually look at their measurements, it's really hard to figure out why.  They seem to be paying a lot of deference to the Tokina's f2.8 max aperture, which is about all it has going for it - the Nikon is sharper (and much more uniformly-so across the frame, which is usually crucial for super-wide-angle lenses), has less chromatic aberration, etc.  In other reviews (DxO don't test for it) the Nikon has also held up better against flare and similar, whereas the Tokina family of super-wide-angles have a long history of doing poorly in that regard.

That said, I know a few people who have Tokina's previous model 11-16/2.8, and they unanimously love it.  One of them was very adamant, after trying the Nikon 10-24, that the Tokina worked way better for low-light photography if only because autofocus worked much better (not surprisingly, given the significant difference in maximum aperture).

I have the 10-24 myself and I'm happy with it for what it is.  The image quality is nowhere near your typical 35, 50 or 85 primes, and at the 18-24 end is at best only comparable to your kit 18-55 or 18-105.  But it works well enough.  And if you use DxO Optics Pro you can pull an incredible amount of extra detail out of your images, in a lot of cases.  It's the only lens for which I've seriously considered buying DxO Optics Pro - I'd even go so far as to say that if you're using the 10-24 for anything more than the occasional novelty, you really must buy DxO Optics Pro, otherwise you're getting terrible value from the lens.

I have not yet tried the Tokina with DxO Optics Pro, but I'm very curious if it likewise sees huge benefits.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow