Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,212Gear list
Like?
Backup Routine for Photos, & Sudden Hard Drive Failure
Jul 24, 2013

Tonight I had a Western Digital 1T portable hard drive just fail out of nowhere. It was a backup hard drive, nothing original on it (thankfully). There was NO warning, other than a couple of .mp4 video files my wife had been watching from it stuttered. Prior to that, it had never acted peculiar in anyway which I'd noticed. Now, it lights up but the light won't flicker, and the computer won't pick it up, you don't even hear the computer making the "dong dong" sound it makes when it senses a device being attached to the USB port.

Is it normal or common for a hard drive to just fail out of nowhere? Is there someway to sort of predict hard drive failure, software that does this for you etc?

Also, for backups, I've used Windows SyncToy freeware and had it "echo" left to right every action (that is, the backup repeats any additions, deletions, renames, and moves of the original, no changes are ever applied from the backup onto the original). Is this suitable software, or should I be using something else?

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow