Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,343Gear list
Like?
Focus Peaking in latest update...
Jul 24, 2013

I, like many here, looked forward to the focus peaking feature of the new firmware update.  I updated the X-Pro1 body first then all the lenses (18, 35, 60 and 18-55) and then began to see how the focus peaking worked.

Some observations...

The choice of white for the peaking was a bad choice in my opinion.  Too many objects have very light highlights and the peaking gets lost.

The peaking is much more obvious using the back LCD than in the EVF.  I don't like using the back LCD to shoot..  tripod based I suppose it will be ok but I always prefer the optical or EVF for composition.  (Obviously FP does not work in optical mode)

Bottom line, for me, I can see where this may come in handy under certain conditions but for most well lit situations, it is a miss in its present form.

I'll certainly give it some more time but I am not seeing the results I had hoped for so far.  I tried it with several of my legacy lenses and it is no easier to focus with peaking on than using the magnifier... unless you are using the LCD on the back of the camera... not what I was looking for.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow