Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?
The appeal of the E-1 ...
Jul 23, 2013

I've been away on vacation the past 12 days or so. Returning to this forum, I see there's a pretty substantial, resurgent interest in the E-1.

On the flip side of that interest, of course, lie the naysayers. "It's old, outdated technology." "Only 5MP." "Noisiest camera ever made." "No IBIS." "No video." "Only 5MP." (Oh ... I already said that.)

So what is it about the E-1 that brings photographers back to it and to it for the first time ... and, if the posts here mean anything, with apparently great satisfaction? Well ... there's the handling. A great handling camera, that's for sure. Then there's the colors, thanks to that amazing Kodak sensor and associated electronics.

Let me throw something else out there that might add yet another reason why some of us just love the output of the E-1 and gravitate towards it so strongly.

While on vacation, my wife and I saw two movies. One was the newly released "The Conjuring," the other a dark, violent film called "Only God Forgives." As I was watching "The Conjuring" I was struck by the resemblance between the production values of that film and the IQ of the E-1. Same thing when I saw "Only God Forgives." Both of these films are exceptional in their lighting, composition, etc. It then occurred to me that, quite probably, the Kodak sensor in the E-1 was designed right from the outset to emulate 35mm motion picture film! ... something Kodak, in its day, was quite well known for. Since seeing those two films, I've made it a habit to watch older films in particular to see how much they resemble the output of the E-1 and, sure enough, many do. If you're a film buff, take note and see if you don't see what I see when I compare motion pictures and the IQ of the E-1.

I know of no other camera that emulates 35mm motion picture film quite so well as the E-1 ... although Fuji's S2 and S3 Pro cameras did come close.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +3 more
Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow