HP Printers?

Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
soloryb
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
Re: HP Printers?
In reply to Gesture, Jul 23, 2013

Hi Rip,

I just got rid of an HP b9180 (13X19 Photosmart printer) after 5-years and thousands of bucks in ink. Most of that ink was wasted in HP cleaning cycles even though I printed some really nice stuff along the way. I have had an Epson 3880 for about 6-month. It's a lot cheaper on inks and doesn't continuously waste it like the HP did. The prints are much nicer too. Also, I don't think this Epson model is prone to clogs. I haven't experienced any so far, but it's not long enough to tell for certain.

Consumers Union (Consumer Reports) just did a comparison test on a bunch of printers regarding the cost of wasted ink. I don't have the magazine in front of be but as I recall, HP was at the bottom of the heap wasting somewhere over $136 per year! Also, some companies (I think in CA) sued HP a few years ago over algorithms that HP incorporated into their software that caused the overuse and wasting of ink. I only know this because I actually received a judgement settlement offer from them. It amounted to some $5 and change but stipulated that I could no longer bring suit against HP for that issue if I accepted. I declined but vowed never again to buy one of their products.

So Rip, I'd recommend keeping away from HP printers. If it's photos you want to print, then Epson, followed by Canon, dominate the market. And please see if you can get a copy of the latest Consumers Report magazine.

Gesture wrote:

Rip Van Winkle here. I have been working with the HP Photosmart 7960 and 8750. After getting around some maintenance quirks (reset the roller clutch; clean the transparent cable; etc.), I have been getting nice prints.

But all I really read about are Epson and Canon, reasonably so. Does HP have any serious advanced hobbyist, semi-professional printers for home use any more? I do notice that the HP Premium Plus Photo Paper doesn't seem to come in larger sizes, which may say something? Thanks.

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
nopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow