Pentax as first DSLR?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Ivan Gordeli
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
analog signal enhancement on K-5
In reply to kikivrany, 9 months ago

kikivrany wrote:

Now I did also ask, because I find for my K5 up to now not the right answer, if it's equal to make a shot at ISO 1600 and push it later up to two stops, or taking at once the right higher ISO.

Well it is not exactly equal. Theoretically shooting at ISO 1600 and pushing in PP should give you more control over the final result than shooting at the "appropriate" ISO first place. Because you have more control over NR. As has been discussed many times K-5 sensor uses digital amplification of noise starting with ISO 3200, so you could do it as well in PP (even better, you have more "latitude" when postprocessing the image from ISO 1600, as you have more opportunities if you want to use that raw file and make several different push-ups from it and stack them or restoring the details in shadows with a curve and compressing the highlights).

So assuming you expose well (i.e. do not clip highlights while maximizing the signal) shooting at ISO 1600 should be better.

As for me I do not bother with it, as I do not enjoy posprocessing. I do not hesitate to shoot at ISO 6400 and I do not even bother with processing the RAW file and quite often satisfied with the straight-out-of-the-camera JPEG. Also I rarely worry about things like detail in shadows/maximizing the dynamic range and tend to shoot under favorable light instead. The point is, you can't do much if the light is bad first place. You can get a technically acceptable shot, but artistically it is not what I would bother about. I'd rather wait for the right conditions even if it takes forever for an artistic shot. If I just need a (family) snapshot I would use ISO 6400 without worrying I am not using my camera ability to the max.

I personally think that it is better to use the correct ISO on a K5.

Now I'm not a camera maker, but I think this way:

When the signal from the sensor get to the AD, is always better to match the signal levels to the input levels of the AD. That happens via the gain.

Now you and also others write, that at for example ISO 1600 the camera do not use more gain, it do gain later via software, and one argument here for an indices is that the cameras NR get in work.

I for myself think that must not be a hint. I really think that my K5 do use more gain when I use a ISO higher than ISO 1600 to get better level results for the AD. But because there is at this level even with this gain a visible noise in the signal, they use a NR.

All in all that mean for me that I try to use the correct ISO to get for the AD a good signal level.

There was quite a lot of info posted on this topic and it convinced me personally that after ISO 1600, it is just digital enhancement. If you want I can dig up some of the relevant links and post for you.

As for me it didn't bother me too much as I am not a pixel-peeper or image quality fanatic. I believe that 95% of the value of the shot is your artistic ability and 4.99% is composition and proper use of conditions (light etc). The remaining 0.01% is for image quality (maybe I am exaggerating a bit)

-- hide signature --

"Notes on Photography" blog http://gordeli.wordpress.com/

Ivan Gordeli's gear list:Ivan Gordeli's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow