Why mirrorless over dslr?

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
brownie314
Contributing MemberPosts: 947
Like?
Re: Why mirrorless over dslr?
In reply to Ubilam, Jul 23, 2013

Ubilam wrote:

Or, vice versa? Please educate me. State the benefits/cons of both ONLY if you have used both types to compare. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

"Hey, don't blame me."

Ubilam:

I assume first of all you are talking about aps-c sized mirrorless, or close to it (maybe m4/3).  You are not going to see a difference in image quality between mirrorless and dslrs, with the latest crop of mirrorless anyway.  The gap in IQ has definitely been closed.

So with the obvious size advantage of most mirrorless, why would anyone continue to buy a dslr, and carry a larger, heavier dslr?  I have both systems.  For me, the focussing system on my dslr (D7000) "gets it right" more often and aquires focus faster than my mirroreless (Nikon J1, which has one of the fastest focus systems of any mirrorless).  And in low light - it is no contest, my dslr is way faster to acquire focus.  So focus speed is one reason to carry a dslr.

I also like the feel in my hand of a heavier, larger camera.  This may seem weird, but it is just a personal thing.  I suggest you try out smaller and larger bodies to see how you like them.  If you can, try to rent both systems and go out shooting with them.  See which one suits you better.  It is definately an advantage at times for me to carry a smaller system like the J1, but all other things being equal (no issues storing when not using, etc.) I would prefer my larger D7000 over the J1. I will leave the IQ difference between the D7000 and J1 out of this discussion as it may not be relevant, but it is significant, to me anyway.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EasyNew
+1New
SizeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow