• More MP... if you need it
  • Higher ISO... if you need it
  • wider AOV for a given focal length

Minuses:

• Expensive
  • Not much glass
  • Larger glass
  • More expensive glass
  • Poor telephoto performance (wider AOV for a given focal length)

If we take the RX1 as a baseline for price, expect a FF NEX to sell for around $2500-$3k with a good general purpose zoom. About twice what an OMD with kit zoom and grip goes for.

Taking the A99 as a measure of expected DR... judging by shots I've seen posted, it's better than, say, the OMD, but not that much better. Diminishing returns.

Same for higher ISO - 3200 keeps me reasonably happy. May not satisfy everyone, but it's not worth the cost and the bulk to get a clean 12600.

Lens selection in general... true that you can use existing FF optimized Zeiss Alpha lenses on this, but if you think 4/3 ZD lenses were large on an OMD, FF Zeiss lenses will be gigantic on a tiny NEX body. My experience with HG and SHG ZD on a Pen body was - very clumsy handling.

Telephoto - forget it.

In my case... thanks, but no thanks. The benefits do not outweigh the drawbacks.

Agreed, but I expect that E-mount APS-C / NEX will continue to be the lower-cost preferred choice of most Sony buyers seeking a compact camera. Those wanting a DSLR replacement will buy the mirrorless Sony DSLR-lookalike, (or the Canon, Nikon, etc.)

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
sizeNew
No.New
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow