Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,422Gear list
Like?
EF-M 22mm vs Sony/Zeiss 24mm on NEX-7
Jul 23, 2013

I couldn't wait to see how the newly-arrived Canon kit measured up. It would appear that the hype is true.

This center crop is very impressive indeed.

The NEX-7 is 24 megapixels, which may yield more potential detail but places greater demands on the optics.

The corner comparisons outdoors were equally impressive, except the Canon focused on a slightly different spot. I hadn't yet figured out how to focus manually with magnification. By the time I did, it was dark out so I ran a corner comparison indoors:

I'd call this a draw. Not bad at all for a $200 lens vs a $1100 lens!

So, can the small & inexpensive EF-M 22mm do everything its vastly bulkier and more expensive rival does? No. If you're shooting wide open, trying to isolate your subject and get a pleasant background blur, the Sony/Zeiss has a distinct advantage:

IMHO the Sony clearly offers more and better background blur. Better enough to spend hundreds upon hundreds more dollars and sacrifice jacket pocket-ability? Only you can say. I'd say this is a good example of the law of diminishing returns - if you're not a stickler for BOKEH you could save a heck of a lot of money!

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow