Complaints About DSLR Size

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 20,214Gear list
Like?
We are fortunate to have a selection of sizes, prices, and types
In reply to lbj1891, 9 months ago

lbj1891 wrote:

But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Indeed, I do like the size and weight of my DSLR...I find it to be an excellent tool and properly ergonomic for certain types of shooting and paired with certain lenses, better so than my mirrorless or P&S cameras.

However, like a few above alluded to, having a choice of sizes is still the best overall solution - both for me since I like to have multiple cameras, and for the wider marketplace where any given person's definitions of 'too big', 'too small', 'too expensive', etc is completely different from another.  The only situation I can think of that would be a nightmare is for the camera marketplace to shrink down to just a single size and shape being available for everyone.

I've almost always been a multiple model buyer, in many aspects of my life, cameras included.  I have long enjoyed the utility and go-anywhere capability of sport-utility vehicles, of which I've owned models since 1990.  At the same time, I love the speed, handling, and stance of sporty cars, and have had those as well all the way back to 1985.  The perfect car for me is two cars - one small and sporty, one larger and more flexible for passenger/cargo configuration.  I have multiple watches, as I find some nice leather band multi-complication analog watches to be perfect for more formal occasions, but metal-band sport watches with waterproofing and shockproofing to be better for outdoors and active use.  I also have heavier watches and much thinner, lighter ones better for certain occasions or wearing to bed.  I've got a desktop computer for big work needs and processing power, but also a laptop for portable needs - actually recently upgraded to a laptop/tablet hybrid so I have a third configuration covered for specialized needs.

With cameras, I always had SLRs since I was 8 years old, but also often had an Instamatic alongside it with 110 film for lighter travel needs.  As I moved to digital, I kept the same trend, buying a small compact alongside a prosumer, later an ultracompact alongside a DSLR, and currently a DSLR, mirrorless, and ultracompact, to cover all bases.  I love them all, and specifically for their sizes...I love the big weighty DSLR for its balance with big primes, love the mirrorless for having DSLR-quality IQ and lens-interchangeability in a much smaller, lighter and more portable kit, and I love the ultracompact for being able to sit in a car cupholder or shirt pocket for quickie shooting needs or to come along when a camera is not needed or planned but the occasional shot opportunity may present itself.  The mirrorless and DSLR split duties almost 50/50 right now for me, and the ultracompact gets about 1%...I don't foresee mirrorless taking over any more duties from DSLR - they compliment eachother very well for me and will likely share duties for the foreseeable future.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow