Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?
Slightly Disappointed with Focus Peaking
Jul 23, 2013

I just updated camera and tried FP. Overall it performs as expected but there seems to be a catch. The moment I press the shutter halfway it disappears - hopefully I am doing something wrong and someone will correct me.

The reason for the disappointment is it hinders fine work when handholding. I really wanted this for my Tamron 90mm macro to help my old eyes focus when handholding closeups. When one if very close to a subject, as with my macro, DOF is so tiny that the slightest movement changes focus. So when I am very close, and focus, then the act of touching the shutter button changes the point of focus slightly.

When doing fine work, like 1:2 handholding, I had kept my finger half pressed to avoid this issue, then focus and click. Now, if I focus then touch the shutter button the slight movement and subsequent lack of seeing how focus may have changed, results in more missed shots due to this sloppy technique.

For tripod work it is great but for close up work handholding it can hinder just as much as it helps.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow