Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,320Gear list
Like?
Re: comment on dxo data relevance
In reply to Ivan Gordeli, Jul 23, 2013

Ivan Gordeli wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

The normalized results are better for the APS-C cameras, except for SNR (unsurprisingly, as AFAIK the shot noise should be significant in those measurements). The overall score is higher for the APS-C cameras, and actually the K-5 IIs and the K-5 II are rated higher than any Canon FF model. Are you sure you want to continue using DXOMark data? Strange things are happening, with synthetic benchmarks.

1. better only for dynamic range (which is quite important of course), everything else is (marginally) better in 5D at least at ISO above 400.

We can go on looking at virtually identical charts, but my point is DXOMark's inability to properly evaluate image quality.

2. I never look at the overall score. Especially it makes little sense when you compare cameras of different scope (such as APS-C vs FF)

I do it for fun and bragging rights

3. I take the dxomark data with a great deal of skepticism for a variety of reasons. As you point out APS-C Pentax rank higher than Canon FF, in fact even within a single manufacturer you will find that dxomark often ranks lower end cameras higher than higher end (even when the sensor size is the same and generation is the same). It only proves the obvious fact that dxomark data is not the whole picture.

While their measurements apparently are correct, it's important to know exactly what they're testing - which is only few, very specific parameters.

What dxomark shows is that Pentax and Nikon make dxo-friendly SLRs

I doubt we'd want to use a true DXO-friendly camera.

-- hide signature --

"Notes on Photography" blog http://gordeli.wordpress.com/

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow