D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,538Gear list
Like?
Re: D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?
In reply to qianp2k, Jul 23, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Yes sir I can explain. This was mentioned in the OP of first D800E vs 5D3 post and referenced by link in the OP of this post.

7.) The EXIF of the 5D mk III image will show f2. The adapter used won’t report actual aperture. You can rest assured this image was made at f8.

Rick, I thought you used two separate Zeiss lenses, one ZE mount for Canon and one ZF mount for Nikon without realizing you used the Zeiss ZF mount thru an adapter on 5DIII (makes lots more sense financially). However is possible that ZF mount is not optimized for Canon? I am not sure thru adapter if it is the same as by using native ZE mount except no AF/AE without any loss in optical quality?

I mentioned this in the OP of the first post to which I linked in the OP of this post:

1.) Used the same lens, Zeiss 2/35mm ZF (Nikon native mount), to make both images although the lens had to be adapted to the 5D mk III.

1a.) I have similar image sets with other Zeiss lenses but chose the Zeiss 35 to post because it generally has a good reputation and is hopefully beyond reproach.

1b.) A Zeiss lens was used because it can be mounted on both cameras (adapter required for the Canon). Using the same lens, IMO, removes a huge impediment to achieving equal test conditions (lens equality in terms of IQ).

2.) The street at the horizon is center frame, focus point and is infinity for a 35mm lens.

2a.) I shot the 5D mk III first after leveling the camera attached to a Markins ball head and then, used the same ball head position to mount the Nikon and after re-checking the leveling which of course was perfectly level, determined that the alignment was so remarkably close that no adjustment was necessary for this type of comparison.

3.) Focusing anomalies:

3a.) Mounted on the Nikon with the focus ring turned all the way to the infinity mark (refer back to no. 2), the image appeared a hair under-focused in Live view, but in switching to the optical VF, the focus confirmation was a steady green circle with no range finder arrows so this is what I used.

3b.) Mounted on the Canon with the focus ring turned all the way to the infinity mark (refer back to no. 2), the image was completely unfocused and therefore had to be focused manually to achieve true focus.

3c.) Focusing with Live View in bright sunlight is much easier with the Canon because the LCD glass is treated with an effective coating and in comparison, Live View visibility on the D800E is slightly to significantly washed out depending on light levels but, since I used focus confirmation for the Nikon image, Live View visibility will not or should not affect the outcome.

Is there anything here in the above description that would concern you? I don't want to lead the witness so to speak.

pixd90 wrote:

Can you please explain why 2 different f/stops were used. Exif shows f2 for canon and f8 for Nikon

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow