Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty part 2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,421Gear list
Like?
Re: More on WEX service
In reply to BirgerH, Jul 23, 2013

BirgerH wrote:

Now it may be true that the retailer is responsible and the buck stops with them to ensure the goods they sell work, but they can send the camera to the manufacturer for repair or have the buyer do so as an attempt to rectify the situation.

And thats exactly what WEX is trying to. In the very same moment you send a camera directly to a repairman or Company you are breaking the conditions for the sellers warranty, risking loosing the warranty. Therefor blame the right.

Once Again - Nikon has nothing to do with you buing a Nikon camera - the agrement is made to the reseller.

Over the years I have bought a lot from WEX - and had 2 issues.

The first was a Nikon Coolscan 5000 (to replace a 4000) that would not start up. I rang Nikon to check I had done everything right. The person at Nikon agreed a problem, issued an incident number and said I could send it in for repair, or ask WEX (then Warehouse Express) for a replacement - and hinted in his opinion I should get WEX to sort it. I phoned WEX mid afternoon, quoted the incident number, was put on hold for a couple of minutes, and arrangements were made to deliver a replacement before 9 am the following morning. You do not get better service than that.

A second problem a few years later was a Giottos tripod with a swinging arm where the locking parts were machined to an abysmal standard and failed within about 3 weeks. I returned it to WEX, was annoyed when WEX returned it to Giottos UK importer, and the "fertiliser hit the fan" when the importer suggested I was not using the tripod properly.

WEX sent a replacement with the same defect, I photographed another Giottos in another camera store with the same defect, and also sent a photo of a Gitzo machined to a good working standard. When I went "upstairs" at WEX they apologised for sending the original for repair instead of replacing it, accepted the original and replacement were unsuitable for macro photography, and promptly returned my money without my having to mention UK/EEC law.

While I am sceptical about the implication Nikon cannot correct an alleged front focus issue, if the owner talks to WEX, even at this late stage months after accepting a repair as a substitute for a replacement, WEX may listen.

On the other hand if neither Nikon or WEX accept the camera has a fault the owner has the challenge of getting an independent repairer to confirm a fault remains. If the independent repairer confirms a fault WEX pay the repair charge and should IMO also make a goodwill gesture. If the independent repairer does not confirm a fault then it would seem there is nothing wrong with the camera.

Summing up knowing about legal rights and talking to the right person (WEX not Nikon) in the right way usually gets a good outcome. "Sounding off" on forums gets nowhere, other than indicating a UK owner buying in the UK has not taken the right steps to get a problem resolved.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge as to how to get the best out of modern and often complex camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow