Complaints About DSLR Size

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
iau
iau
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to lbj1891, 9 months ago

I like the feel an solid grip of my DSLR (D600). My first DSLR was the D70. Then I bought a D300 because I wanted to be able to meter with older AI-S lenses, but got sort of tired with the weight (or mor correctly, the size). This is when I started trying out mirrorless cameras. When the D7000 came out I got it since it was a smaller and lighter DSLR with the same ability to meter with older lenses. I was starting to be very conscious regarding size but didn't want to leave DSLR. Anyway I upgraded to the D600 since it was a full frame in a smaller package. Been very happy with the IQ and find it hard to leave Nikon FX for DX anymore, but the size is still bothering me.

On the forums a lot of DSLR user seem to be using mirrorless as a second camera but in the real world I usually see DSLRs only. But what I notice is that many of those are the smaller sized DSLRs from Nikon, Canon or Sony. So, where this rambling is heading - when enthusiasts (like me) complain about DSLR size and flirt with mirrorless, we always tend to compare one of the more advanced and larger models of DSLR to the mirrorless alternatives. What I have started wondering about is simply to downsize to the Nikon D5200. Yes, I know the D7100 is between, but it is almost as large as the D600. What I would like to know is if anyone enthusiastic (I guess most reading these forums are) have done that and not regreted?

I like to always carry a camera with me, but I'm not a typical street shooters. More casual snapshots and hiking, but that is not to say I do not care about the IQ. Tend to be too much of a pixle peeper...

-iau

PS. I wish Nikon would start to think outside of the box and if they could make a new "DSLR" without the mirror. I guess they could still make adapters for those that wanted to use old lenses. The only problem is losing the OFV.

iau's gear list:iau's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow