Complaints About DSLR Size

Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,213Gear list
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 23, 2013

All cameras are compromises.  Period.  You just have to select your suite of advantages and disadvantages.  Size and weight are just one dimension to think about.  IQ is another.  Performance - meaning capability, speed and ergonomics - is still another.  You never get all at the same time.

One solution is to own more than one camera and many of those who post here do - me included.  If you adopt this solution, you then have to decide for each outing which camera(s) to take.  And once you're 'out there', you have to accept the consequences of your decision.

I think a lot of this comes down to purpose and personal preference.  I used to use a 4X5" and a Pentax 67 for their advantages when I needed them. To heck with their size and weight. Today I own a DSLR and too many lenses, a Canon G1X and a Canon G12.  I use the DSLR for its capabilities and leave it at home when I travel. The G1X is my travel camera. The G12 is for social outings and other situations where small size and convenience matter.  So size matters to me.  Do I miss the DSLR - yes occasionally, but not too often.  And too bad - the best camera is the one you have with you.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow