Hey so what's the best macro lens for Pentax under $200?

Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chalootz297
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Re: Hey so what's the best macro lens for Pentax under $200?
In reply to vjk2, Jul 23, 2013

Hello vjk2,

A couple of suggestions for you; If you are willing to shoot in full manual, the Pentax M 100mm f/4.0 is a fine starter macro lens. It's 1:2, very sharp and well-marked with DOF indicators. It is manual focus and manual aperture, so you must use the green button for stop-down metering.

They run between $100-$150 USD on eBay and other online sellers.

The second option is a 1:3 macro 'function' on a small zoom, the Pentax F 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5.

This little gem is hardly bigger than a 50mm prime, a handy walk-around short zoom with very good color rendition, sharp and clean resolution and the fastest AF of any Pentax F or FA I've ever seen.

It's a bit noisy, racking to it's AF point with deadly accuracy and "Beep!" you're done.

The 'macro' (actually close-focusing) mode is an additional twist at the 70mm setting, easy once you learn it. You can find these for under $100 (sometimes closer to $50.00) online frequently.

I believe you would be more satisfied with either of these than a 70-300mm tele, most are  no better than 1:3, some are 1:4 and all would be bigger, heavier and less sharp in macro mode.

JMO

Ron

Chalootz297's gear list:Chalootz297's gear list
Pentax Optio I-10 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow