Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty part 2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,416Gear list
Like?
Re: paper weight
In reply to Mako2011, Jul 23, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

I'll repeat again. The consumer should not need inside contacts within a company

Sure, but it would have helped in this case.

So would owning a camera company and having them provide you with exclusive service. Should we expect everyone to own one?

The customer does not need to learn or know anything about the camera manufacture or retail business in order to expect working gear.

No need to at all. Knowing though has certain advantages.

Yes it does. But you can't expect everyone to know and you can't blame someone for not knowing an unpublished policy you have been told by word of mouth by contacts you trust but the OP doesn't know.

Now you know...and so do others. That was my only goal.

Now I know that the Nikon subsidiary and repair center you deal with claims this, but I can't get them to verify it in writing now can I? I appreciate you have informed us of your experience, but that isn't the point.

Repair folks using the wrong software? That'd be because Nikon refuse to sell or make available the correct software.

Not at all. It was a price issue. Most independents simply could not afford the update and it was offered (very expensive and not sure who sets the price...I assume Nikon the Parent). Those independents continued accepting repairs and doing repairs without the needed software or hardware. The consumer, in many of those cases, got the shaft...and now we have a new policy from Nikon USA.

I don't believe for one second that Nikon ever sold it's service software to 3rd parties. They may have contracted 3rd party companies to do their repair work as was the case with Maxwell in Australia a few years ago (Nikon has since started doing it's own repair work here). That isn't the same thing as selling it to a third party though. I'm not aware of any instance in which Nikon has offered it's service software to a requesting 3rd party rather than their official repairers. I challenge you to show me proof of that....and if they did at a price that was not reasonable then I don't consider that an offer in good faith.

This is a condition they have artificially created

Maybe, I do not know.

Are you telling me you don't know whether Nikon controls the release of their own software and parts?

It is anti-competitive and as anti-consumer as you can get. It's not a good business decision at all. In the long term it's a terrible decision.

Doesn't appear to be from Nikon USA's stand point. It looks as though their bottom line is increasing. As far as real repair statistics go...I have only 2nd hand data so not sure. Pluses and Minuses for the consumer me thinks.

When you suddenly shut out the competition of course you'll get a temporary increase in revenue. If you didn't that would mean customers were throwing away cameras rather than having them repaired.

And please explain why this wasn't an issue pre-D7000 and is now?

With the D90 and earlier...the old software worked just fine. With the newer bodies, trying to calibrate/repair with the old gear/software often results in a expensive paper weight that will not power on. Not sure the mechanics behind it.

Again where's your information coming from? I'm not aware of anyone using old software to repair newer cameras? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a check against firmware to prevent such nonsense.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow