Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty part 2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,756
Like?
paper weight
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Jul 22, 2013

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Mako, you're not being fair here. Nikon makes a mistake or has a bone headed policy and "that's the reality of dealing with humans". OP asks for confirmation in writing not realising the implications of doing so and it's all his fault.

Never once did I say it was all his fault (other thread). Only explained what happened from a diffrent perpective.

Why should anyone care about that different perspective?

Because the OP in the other case could have got his final resolution 6 weeks earlier had he understood the nuances ans reasoning behind there decisions. (never commented on the right or wrong of that specific decision/policy)

I'll repeat again. The consumer should not need inside contacts within a company

Sure, but it would have helped in this case.

The customer does not need to learn or know anything about the camera manufacture or retail business in order to expect working gear.

No need to at all. Knowing though has certain advantages.

Yes it does. But you can't expect everyone to know and you can't blame someone for not knowing an unpublished policy you have been told by word of mouth by contacts you trust but the OP doesn't know.

Now you know...and so do others. That was my only goal.

Furthermore by refusing to sell 3rd party repairers with parts and service software, Nikon has made itself the ONLY company that can repair a faulty camera in most circumstances.

In the US, that is correct and done by design. Turns out to be a pretty good business decision and has side benefits for the consumer as units are no longer getting bricked due to repair folks using the wrong software. Wasn't an issue pre-D7000. Is now.

Repair folks using the wrong software? That'd be because Nikon refuse to sell or make available the correct software.

Not at all. It was a price issue. Most independents simply could not afford the update and it was offered (very expensive and not sure who sets the price...I assume Nikon the Parent). Those independents continued accepting repairs and doing repairs without the needed software or hardware. The consumer, in many of those cases, got the shaft...and now we have a new policy from Nikon USA.

This is a condition they have artificially created

Maybe, I do not know.

It is anti-competitive and as anti-consumer as you can get. It's not a good business decision at all. In the long term it's a terrible decision.

Doesn't appear to be from Nikon USA's stand point. It looks as though their bottom line is increasing. As far as real repair statistics go...I have only 2nd hand data so not sure. Pluses and Minuses for the consumer me thinks.

And please explain why this wasn't an issue pre-D7000 and is now?

With the D90 and earlier...the old software worked just fine. With the newer bodies, trying to calibrate/repair with the old gear/software often results in a expensive paper weight that will not power on. Not sure the mechanics behind it.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow