Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty part 2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,034
Like?
Don't understand?
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Jul 22, 2013

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Sammy Yousef wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

Solving the OP's problem has nothing to do with Nikon.

That's mind boggling. How anyone can think a faulty camera and multiple repairs is not the fault of the manufacturer.

No one said it wasn't. Your confusing the repair process with the manufacturing process.

No I'm not. "Solving the OP's problem has nothing to do with Nikon" is not an ambiguous statement.

Yes it may because solving Juggernaut122's issue may indeed have nothing to do with Nikon Japan. And based on the resolution he got, apparently it indeed did not have anything to do with the manufacture. Not sure, in the OP's case here, if the manufacture was ever involved in the problem resolution.

Nikon Japan? What are you talking about? Was the camera even put together in Japan? I don't think that model of camera is but I coiuld be wrong. The manufacturer's warranty may be provided by Nikon in another country but it's still Nikon.

Nikon Japan/Sendai/Tochigi (Parent) is the company that builds and ships cameras. There is a Nikon Thialnad, but the arrangement with Sendai/Tochigi is very different, AFAIK. Some they sell and distribute themselves...and some they sell to Independent Distributor Companies that also do repairs. Once Nikon USA buys and distributes a camera or lens...it's now treated different than a Nikon/Sendai/Tochigi body/lens (grey market) and different laws/rules apply. I'm surprised you don't understand the concepts of "Independent Subsidiary" and the ramification of that arrangement. One bounus for Nikon Japan...Independent subsidiaries that actually operate as independent businesses provide considerable liability protection for the parent company. Note also, not all Independent subsidiaries operate the same. Many differences and very complicated.

Subsidary list

Nikon attempted and failed to do the repair several times.

The Nikon repair facility the OP used in this case...is Not Nikon USA.

That's fine. Which country's implied warranty regulations would you like me to look up exactly? Most are very comparable and differ only in the detail of who's responsible in the first instance.

Only matters who's responsible for the warranty regards which issue your speaking of. Nikon USA, Nikon Japan, etc. Certain differences do come into play.

Only in terms of legalities. When it comes to that, if the camera is put together in Thailand Nikon Japan has very little to do with it.

No...Nikon Imaging is the parent company and the manufacture. The have factories in Japan and Thailand.

Except of course that they do have a hand in the setup, finances and policies of their subsidiaries world wide. Now you're suggesting a consumer needs to concern himself with the subtleties of running an international business and the organisation of it's holdings.

Yes, if he wants his warranty honored. It helps to know who will and will not honor it.

As far as the consumer's concerned he or she has only one choice in who to deal with and that is Nikon locally.

Not true regards repair situations the consumer wishes to pay outright for.

Nikon do not allow 3rd parties to purchase parts from them anymore.

Not sure that policy holds with the independents in Europe.

It looks like they've had to waver a little in the US as well

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonprt/en_US/home/ThemeID.30573000

Not a waver at all. Nikon Parts store is Nikon USA...not a third party

Nikon parts store is a concession that they've had to make. The policy they had announced was that parts would not be supplied to third parties. I'm not familiar with the circumstances surrounding that back down.

They did not back down. The Nikon store does not sell to third part repair businesses. That policy did not change.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow