kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,773
Like?
Re: Actually you are wrong
In reply to Ivan Gordeli, Jul 22, 2013

Ivan Gordeli wrote:

kikivrany wrote:

Hello

I think in all the comparison of a old camera like the 5D and the new ones, whe should not forget to mentioned that since that days the high ISO's went in usable higher regions. I mean I even have not to use any noise reduction at ISO 1600 with a modern camera like for example the K5.

That opens for a hobby photographer a lot new possibilities.

Also the dynamic range get higher at higher ISO's in the new cameras, so that you can use for example with a K5 ISO 1600 in a high dynamic daylight scene.

best regards kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

One of the few things the 5D sensor is "better" than K-5 is high ISO performance, which you can observe on DXO data.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/811|0/%28brand%29/Pentax/%28appareil2%29/676|0/%28brand2%29/Pentax/%28appareil3%29/176|0/%28brand3%29/Canon

(I hope the link works)

you can also see:

1. the SNR graph - the 3 cameras (5D, K-5 and K-30) are quite close

2. dynamic range: the 5D catches up with K-30 at ISO800 and is only marginally worse than K-5 after ISO800

3. Tonal range: all 3 cameras are close, the 5D is marginally better after ISO400. Same about color sensitivity

(Of course the 5D does not offer ISO higher than 3200, however for either the 5D or the K-5 shooting at ISO above 1600 gives no advantages other than convenience.)

What it all means is simply that performance-wise the sensors are quite comparable in fact unlike the general hype is telling. A good reality check for all of us who have been carried away by K-5 original praise.

-- hide signature --

"Notes on Photography" blog http://gordeli.wordpress.com/

Hello Ivan Gordeli

I always keep in mind that DOX compared in some tests 8Mp down sample files when I look at there results. There are a lot threads about it.

I can't follow your conclusion, even with the DOX results...let's look for that at ISO 100 or simple at ISO higher than 3200.

Now my English is not the best, so maybe I misread this sentence from you:

...(Of course the 5D does not offer ISO higher than 3200, however for either the 5D or the K-5 shooting at ISO above 1600 gives no advantages other than convenience.) ...

Did you mean under 1600 instead of above 1600, because I for example must use ISO's above 1600 a lot when I make ballet pictures for my daughter. And I'm glad my K5 has this ISO range.

best regards kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow