Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510
Like?
Awesome m.Zuiko 9-18mm lens
Jul 22, 2013

I know I said I wouldn't post on this forum anymore because no one seems to appreciate my posts.

But I just wanted to let the world know about how great the m.Zuiko 9-18mm lens is.

Even though in the photo above I am using an uncoated Tiffen Haze 2A filter (to nip purple fringing in the bud), there are no objectionable flares at all. I bet if I were using the 7-14mm, this is the kind of shot, into the sun, known to cause all sorts of strange flares in weird colors.

The crop showing the building at the upper left shows how sharp this lens is even in the corners. (Sorry about the noise, I accidentally shot at ISO 1600. But this does demonstrate the increidble dynamic range of the sensor in the new Olympus cameras, even at higher ISOs.)  Based on internet reports this lens was supposed to be blurry, but I find the corner and edge sharpness is way superior to the 12-50mm and the 14mm f/2.5 lenses, which is very impressive considering it's a lot harder to get sharp corners at 9mm than it is at 12mm or 14mm.

There would be some pretty intense color fringes around the border from lateral CA if not for the Adobe Camera Raw anti-CA checkbox, and then using the anti-fringing brush around the building. But at least there is no PURPLE fringing at all (with the Tiffen Haze 2A filter), just regular lateral CA fringing.

The only downside to this lens is that it looks plain WEIRD on a Panasonic G5. A rangefinder-style lens on a lumpy DSLR-style body just looks wrong. But this lens looks great on an E-M5 or an E-PM2.

My only regret is that I didn't buy this lens sooner.  I think this is the only lens I am ever going to use again for outdoor city/landscape type of shots.

Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow