Haswell ultrabook OK for photo editing?

Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tapper123
Tapper123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,492
Haswell ultrabook OK for photo editing?

I currently use a big, heavy 17" Toshiba notebook with an "AMD A6-3400M with Radeon HD graphics" at 1.4Ghz, and 6GB RAM. I have no idea how weak or powerful it is compared to other computers. Bought it a year or two ago because it was cheap, and did what I needed at the time.

I'm pretty new to PP to any serious degree, but would like to start using Lightroom 5 regularly and shoot RAW more often. I also plan to get a separate 27" IPS monitor soon, which I would like to plug the notebook into for work and photo editing etc.

Now, I don't think my current notebook is terribly slow or fast. It's bearable. Faster would be nice.

In January 2014 I will be taking some college classes, and it's pretty far away, so I plan to buy a small, light notebook to bring along. So I'm paying attention to Haswell ultrabooks.

Does anyone know if Haswell utrabooks would be good for photo editing (i.e. Lightroom working with ~20MP RAW files)? Would they be slower or faster than my AMD based Toshiba? I don't need to buy anything for 4 or 5 months yet, so I have time, but want to figure out what I'm dealing with in terms of power.

I also suppose a Core i7 version of Haswell with more than 4GB RAM would help, but manufacturers are charging some crazy prices for those specs, unfortunately.
Thanks.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Olympus E-M5 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +6 more
Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow